I have not been baking for a while and this weekend I really felt like making a cake, so I tried this recipe for a lemon and poppy seed cake. I love lemon-flavoured desserts and was not disappointed. This recipe is simple to make but the flavours are perfect: delicate but unmistakable. The cake is tasty yet light, and I noticed that people had no guilt when taking two or three pieces (as they shouldn’t!). If you like lemon desserts, this recipe is a must try!
Ingredients for cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
Ingredients for glaze:
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Grease and flour a 6-cup Bundt cake pan.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and zest until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture in two additions, mixing on low speed.
- Stir in the poppy seeds and mix until homogenous. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 20 minutes, then increase the temperature of the oven to 325°F and bake for another 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then turn out the cake to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together the lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth and pour over the cake. Let the glaze set and enjoy!