Yield: 18 muffins
“Back to Baking”, pp. 211
Along with cheesecake and carrot muffins, blueberry muffins are one of my favorite dessert foods. There are not a lot of things that I prefer over a good, warm out-of-the-oven classic blueberry muffin. If you enjoy blueberry muffins as much as I do, then do yourself a favour and try this recipe. Your tastebuds will thank me (and Anna!) later. They are, and this is a big statement, the best blueberry muffins I’ve had. Furthermore, in all the recipes that I have tried, this is the first time that I needed to add yogourt. What a difference it makes! The muffins are moist, tasty and almost of a creamy consistency. The yogourt gives them that distinct flavour that I was previously unable to identify in other muffins. Nothing else needs to be said about this incredible recipe from Chef Anna other than: success!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogourt, such as 2 or 3% (not low-fat!)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest *
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two muffin pans with 16-18 muffin liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt to combine the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, yogourt, melted butter, orange zest* and vanilla extract with a hand or stand mixer until a homogenous mixture is obtained.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- Add the blueberries and gently fold them in with a spatula. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin liners and fill them to the top. Sprinkle the muffin tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool down completely.
* Due to the bitter taste with last week’s banana nut bars, I omitted the orange zest in this recipe. Fortunately, the blueberry muffins tasted great nonetheless!