With a lot of time suddenly freed up after being done teaching a lab course, I took the opportunity during the weekend to bake a couple of things. It had been a while! Since I had some very ripe bananas in my fridge that needed to be used, I started with this vegan banana and walnut bread. It was simple to make, but the first time that I tasted it I wasn’t too impressed. I found it a bit too salty and not sweet enough. I thought that it was perhaps because my bananas were beyond saving (I’m telling you, they were very old and I think they may have started to ferment) and for this reason were not as sweet as normal ripe bananas. However, the second and third time I tried the bread I grew to like it. The banana flavour is not as strong as what I am used to, but you can definitely still taste the bananas. What surprised me most is the texture of this bread. Since there are no eggs, butter or dairy milk, I was not expecting such a fluffy texture. You could never tell that this recipe is egg-free and dairy-free! If you are looking for a yummy banana bread that does not require eggs or dairy, definitely give this a try! Word to the wise, I strongly advise you to use ripe bananas that have black spots on the skin, that is when they will be the sweetest.
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup almond or soy milk
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, brown sugar, vegetable oil and almond or soy milk.
- In a separate bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the banana mixture and stir until evenly blended.
- Stir in the walnut pieces and mix well.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and cook for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean. Cool the loaf in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn it out to cool completely.