Yield: about 4 dozen small cookies
“Back to Baking”, pp. 27
Next cookies to fill up my cookie jar: these delightful pistachio snowball cookies. Pistachios are one of my favorite nuts and cookies one of my favorite types of dessert, so it seemed fitting to follow this recipe that combines both. These cookies are fragrant, delicious and have a distinct pistachio flavour without being too overwhelming. These are perfect and can be whipped up in minutes! I find that these taste even better when they have been sitting for a couple of days.
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shelled, roasted and unsalted pistachios
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Icing sugar, for coating
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, pulse the flour, pistachios, sugar and salt until the pistachios are finely ground into the mixture.
- Add the butter and vanilla extract, then pulse until the dough comes together.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls about one-inch in diameter and place them one inch apart on the prepared baking trays.
- Bake the cookies for 15 to 18 minutes, until the bottoms just begin to colour a light brown.
- Cool the cookies completely on the trays, then roll them in icing sugar to coat.
Notes from Anna:
- For this recipe and many others, you can interchange the pistachios for other tender nuts such as pecans, walnuts or pine nuts, according to your preference.