Yield: 6 individual possets
“Back to Baking”, pp. 207
Who doesn’t love a good lemon dessert? It feels light, refreshing and tends to make you feel less guilty than eating a piece of double chocolate cake with caramel frosting. Simply put, this dessert is one of the simplest, fastest and most scrumptious desserts that I have ever made. It takes less than 5 minutes to make and best of all requires no baking! With its rich lemon flavor it is sure to be a people-pleaser wherever you may bring them. The texture of this egg-less custard is just perfect: soft and firm at the same time and almost pudding-like. Heavenly, I say!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream (not low-fat !)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepot, whisk together the whipping cream, sour cream, sugar and lemon zest over medium-low heat just until the sugar has melted.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Pour this mixture into 6 serving dishes (glass or ceramic) and let it set at least 6 hours, up to 24 hours.
Notes from Anna:
- Since this custard is not baked and contains no eggs, its consistency is more fluid than a traditional set custard. It is eaten with a spoon and turns fluid once stirred.