Yield: about 16 bars
“Back to Baking”, pp. 216
Due to the appealing photograph displayed in Anna’s cookbook for this streusel coffee cake, I have wanted to try this recipe for the longest time. Fortunately I did not long ago and was very pleased with the result. Be warned, this cake does not contain coffee, but its name rather refers to the fact that it is a prime candidate to go along with a coffee enjoyed at any time of the day. This cake is moist and flavourful without being overwhelmingly so. It is the perfect late-night snack to go along with any warm drink. Enjoy!
Ingredients for topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Ingredients for cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- For the streusel topping, stir together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl with a fork. Add the melted butter and stir well until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- For the cake, using a hand or stand mixer beat together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the whole egg and the egg yolk. Beat well after each addition.
- Stir in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until just blended.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the streusel topping overtop. Bake the cake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cut into squares when the cake is cooled completely and enjoy!
I loved this cake! I don’t drink coffee and find most coffee cakes too “heavy” but this is a great everyday cake to snack on. I loved it with a big glass of milk. Im craving it just looking at your pic 🙂
Thank you Jackie! I definitely agree with you, this cake with a glass of milk is just perfect! 🙂