Yield: about 24 cookies
“Back to Baking”, pp. 64
If pressed to state which type of dessert I enjoy baking most, I would have to say cookies or cupcakes. Your classic cookie is simple to make, quick to bake and quicker still to enjoy. A plate can be devoured in an instant. They can also be quite versatile, which is why I always love making them. This recipe for egg-free chocolate chip cookies has intrigued me for a while because I don’t recall the last time, if ever, that I made cookies without eggs. I was very keen on trying and to see the results.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
The results were… amazing. I was quite surprised with out they came out. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it was not this. These are without exaggeration some of the best cookies that I have ever had let alone made. They are soft, tender, the perfect texture and not too sweet. And eggless! I think the secret must be in the applesauce. Who would have thought! I am not lying when I say that every time I would have a cookie I would marvel at its texture and taste, shocked anew at how awesome these cookies are. What a great recipe. To be repeated again and again, no doubt. I strongly urge you to make these cookies if you feel like being impressed and, as a bonus, enjoying a nice cookie.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in applesauce and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, flaxseed, baking soda and salt. Add this to the butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips or chunks. Scoop teaspoonfuls of dough onto the baking tray, pressing the cookies down a little.
- Bake the cookies for 11 to 13 minutes, until the cookies just begin to brown. Cool cookies on the tray. Enjoy immediately thereafter before everyone in your household eats them all.